May 02, 2008

The high-heel revenge...


Normally I extol the virtues of high-heel pumps, platform sandals, and anything that makes me an even 5'5". Perhaps it was karma or God's sense of humor that turned my love against me last night. Regardless, this morning I am bruised and my eye looks like I had a rough night on the town.

Picking out the perfect shows to top off my outfit for the evening, I chose my wooden heeled sandals with black leather straps and silver studs. Needless to say, these shoes are hot and make a wicked sound on tile and/or wood floors. Unfortunately, they are also dangerous. While the sole of the shoe is well equipped with contoured rubber to provide traction, the square heel is completely devoid of any such attribute.

After spending the evening with Ian, getting his truck dirty in the mud, I headed to Barnes & Noble to get some tea and head home. On my way home, I remembered something I wanted to look for at the local Hastings, something I promptly forgot about when I walked in the door. I wandered aimlessly for a while, hoping to remember what I was looking for and finally gave up.

On my way out the door, the clerk wished me a good evening which I returned in kind. As I rounded the corner to the doors, I suddenly found myself victim to water and wooden heels. With an obvious lack of grace, I caught myself with my right hand as my right foot slipped behind my left. The move might have been mistaken for the start of a break dancing routine if it had not been for the cup of tea in the left hand which, in the fall, smacked my left eye, covering me in cherry blossom tea.

Embarrassed, I immediately began laughing hysterically and left to get into my car as soon as possible. I won't be going to Hastings for a while.

Damn shoes...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a great story. Hoe you recovered alright :)